If you have decided to be part of an Australian university, then it is important that you apply for a student visa in Australia. If you are a full-time student, you need to acquire a Student Visa Subclass 500.
This visa can provide you with a number of benefits during your stay in Australia, but you also need to fulfil requirements and follow appropriate guidelines. In this guide, you will get to know about the speciality of the student visa and why you need to apply for it.
How Does the Australian Student Visa Work?
The Australian student visa can let you enter Australia to pursue your studies. The visa is valid for up to five years and is in line with your enrolment at an Australian university.
Under this visa, you can:
- Take part in an eligible study course in Australia
- You can also invite your family members to Australia
- Under this visa, you can travel in and out of the country
- You can do paid work for 40 hours every two weeks after the start of your course.
Process of the Australian Subclass 500 Student Visa
The process for the Australian student visa is as follows:
You must have documents like CoE in your hand as you will need them for the application.
- Pay the required fees– After you pay the fee for the Visa Subclass 500, you will get a transaction reference number.
- Attend a visa interview– You might be asked to arrange a visa interview or check your health
- Decision– You will get the outcome of your student visa application in writing, along with the reasons for refusal.
How Do You Acquire an Australian Student Visa?
If you are a foreign national and want to study in Australia, you must acquire a student visa. But you need to fulfil some Student Visa Subclass 500 Conditions and demonstrate them to the Department of Home affairs. Some of those requirements are:
- Financial requirements
- Health and character requirements
- Genuine Temporary Entrant
- English proficiency requirements.
Australian Student Visa Application Form
An overseas student can apply online for an Australian student visa. All other foreign students also need to apply for the same visa. At first, the applicants need to acquire a COE (Confirmation of Enrolment) that will confirm that they are accepted into a course.
But not all the courses are eligible under this visa. To support the visa application, the course needs to be registered under CRICOS or Commonwealth of Institution of Courses. The COE is an online code that applicants must provide on the online subclass visa 500 form.
Requirements for the Australian Student Visas
Any documents you submit for the student visa application must be scanned in colour and saved in PDF format. You also need to translate your original documents into English.
With this Student Visa 500 Checklist, you will know what documents you need to provide. Some of those documents are:
- A personal statement in English
- Confirmation of COE
- Proof of English proficiency skills
- Financial proof
- Police certificate
- Overseas Student Health cover
Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) Requirement
This personal statement will declare your desire to study in Australia, and you need to leave after completion of your program. It can give the Australian government a proper review of your situation and ties to your home country.
If you can use your documents along with the statement, it can help to make your application better. Things that need to be covered in the GTE or Genuine Temporary Entrant are:
- Previous study proof– You need to provide proof of where you studied previously and your results.
- Study gaps– you need to provide the reasons for any gaps in your education.
- Employment– You must show your current employment and provide details of it. You can also include offers of employment on completing your studies if it is applicable.
- Your family and other social ties– The family and friends you want to return to after completing your course.
- Financial circumstances– you need to provide documents showing your employment before submitting your visa application. The documents can include reports, tax returns and bank statements.
Health Insurance Requirements for Australia
The OSHC is needed for students who want to study in Australia. The cover can be bought from different Australian healthcare providers, and this can cover from the first day you come to Australia.
OSHC can help cover your basic medical care like visiting a doctor, which needs to be arranged for your chosen university. You can opt to take out a more comprehensive cover while staying in Australia.
Processing Time of the Australian Student Visa
The processing times for the Australian student can vary depending on your circumstances and other reasons. Generally, you can expect to wait for between 6 to around 11 weeks to receive the subclass 500 visa.
Sometimes, it can take a number of weeks to get a decision regarding the status of your visa. This is why it is essential that you begin your visa application process as fast as you can. You can apply at least three months before your departure date to have a better chance of receiving the visa early.
What Can You Do After the Visa is Rejected?
You should not worry if your visa gets rejected for the first time; you must calm your head and try to find the problems. If documents are missing or criteria are not fulfilled, you can take the help of a migration agent in Adelaide.
If you want to work or study in Australia, you must apply for a subclass 500 student visa. You must follow the guidelines the Australian government sets out about the visa. In this case, an immigration agent Adelaide can help you.
If you want to know the documents and criteria you need to fulfil for the visa; you can check the guide above. But if you still have doubts about the application form, you can hire the services of a visa agent in Adelaide.